Saturday, February 19, 2011

teacher!

I had never dreamt that I would become a a teacher.I never had anything against the profession, but I loved my cousin who was a doctor and sincerely believed that I would become one. the sad thing was that I never knew that one had to work hard and study sincerely to become a doctor!

So...I graduated, got a master's degree in English and then a certificate in English language teaching and approached a school for a teacher's post. The Head Master told me that without a B.Ed. degree I had no entry into a school. Fine! I applied for a seat in two colleges- RCE( today it is known as RIE) and another private college. My name was not in first list of RIE which catered to all 4 southern states and union territories. The private college gave me admission, and I joined with some apprehension. (My apologies to good people associated with the college) I found myself in the middle of a horde of dowdy, ogling boys who would break into a romantic kannada song the moment they saw the pallu of a sari, (most of the girls wore saris) and girls who wouldn't raise their heads or voices and huddle in small groups. My heart sank into my stomach and I felt a lump in my throat.
One or two classes- introductions, syllabus and we were in a Physical Education class. The 'lecturer' talked about everything physical and nothing about education. He asked me how old I was , he asked another her caste and another if she was a christian! He talked about the differences between boys and girls, their gaits, mannerisms and nature, with demonstration! A very good teacher indeed! throughout the lecture we had the background music of the boys' raucous laughter and muffled giggles of some girls! That was the last straw!
I walked home, desperately wanting to discontinue, wondering how I could possibly finish my course. I reached home, and it was a moment of elation! My mother stood in the veranda, waving a card in her hand and said "You have got a seat in RCE in the second list!"

1 comment:

  1. Wonderful! We'll get to hear never-before-heard stories in this place :)

    ReplyDelete